The Easiest Way to Boost Your Registration by 20%

Let’s examine an often overlooked source of additional event attendees - the people who have stalled midway through your registration process, those incomplete registrants. A study conducted in early 2016 by the Baymard Institute found that e-commerce transaction abandonment rates averaged almost 69%, and could go as high as 76%. Event planners, that’s a lot of lost registrants for your event!

Event registration case studies, including this one by the RFID Journal, have shown that with a solid remarketing campaign, you can gain back as many as 20% or more of your event registrations that stalled somewhere along the way - that’s 6% of your overall registration total! With some thoughtful target marketing and a series of strategic email campaigns, you can boost attendance to your event and increase your revenues significantly.

Let's Do The Math. 

Think about it. Let’s say your event ticket is $100. If 400 people begin the registration process, but only 70% of them follow through, that leaves 30% incompleted. Of that $12,000 in missed revenue, even if you successfully revived 20% of those prospective event attendees to register that would be $2400 with a little effort on your part - you just have to know what you’re looking for. If you don’t believe this could have a massive impact on your event strategy, plug in the numbers from your own registration statistics, and see what that missing revenue would be.

Using the registration module of your event technology platform, you should be able to compile a comprehensive report that will identify all of the partially completed or incompleted registration forms. You can then set up a series of automated yet personalized emails to go out to these people who have abandoned their registration process, regardless of where in the funnel they dropped out. 

Registration abandonment emails typically have much higher open rates than usual, as well as click-to-open rates, because the prospective attendees are already familiar with the event and just need a little reminder or encouragement to complete their registration form. By creating an email campaign filled with engaging event content, keynote speaker highlights or even a discount for your prospective attendees, you can increase your event registration revenues considerably.


Catch Registration Problems Early in the Game!

Sometimes people drop out of the registration process due to design flaws in your event registration forms. They may have questions about some of the required information, or concerns about data security. They may also have gotten distracted before they were able to complete your form.

You can set up an automated email to go out to these potential registrants as early as the same day as a registration form is abandoned. It should be a gentle reminder that they have not completed the registration process, along with an invitation to contact you for technical assistance if necessary. If you think it might apply, you can also include some reassuring language to your event’s legal policy, or terms and conditions. The tone should be friendly and lighthearted. Here are some great examples of effective emails to inspire you.


Send a Reminder About an Upcoming Registration Milestone

If your event invitation contains an early bird discount, you can use the upcoming deadline as a reason to send another email reminder to your incomplete or abandoned registrants. Make sure you send it at least a few days, if not a week before the deadline, in order to to give them adequate time to take advantage of the opportunity. Sending another one the day before the deadline is not taboo either. Remember, these are people who have already shown interest in your event. They just need a little nudge.


When All Else Fails, Offer a Special Deal

You’ve already sent out as many as two emails, and no response yet. We don’t recommend sending more than three well spaced follow-ups in total, as too many may be considered aggressive. On your last attempt, make it count - perhaps your incomplete or abandoned registrants need a little incentive.

After your traditional milestone deadlines have passed, try offering a special discount or incentive, either at or just under the early bird rate. Clearly communicate that this offer is for those prospective attendees who have initiated the registration process earlier on; with Attendease you can even provide unique promo codes to manage this process. Sometimes price is actually the barrier for them not having completed their online registration. Offering a slight savings may be just the motivation to help them make up their minds and commit, once and for all.

 

For more information on how Attendease can help you boost your event registration rates, get in touch with us here to learn more about our event technology platform and robust enterprise registration portal.